Thursday, July 22, 2004

 Gail the Conqueror (article from BBC sports ) ...

 
My struggles began in 1989 when I was suffering from Graves' Disease.
It left me constantly exhausted but it should have been a time when I was at the peak of my career.
I thought it was down to my Olympic training but I soon discovered it was a thyroid disorder. It was a scary time.
I thought my feet would have to be amputated but I fought back with the help of my doctor and family and went on to win Olympic golds in the 100m at Barcelona and Atlanta.
Gail Devers wins another gold at the 1992 Atlanta OlympicsChampion again in Atlanta
Whether it's illness or injury - you either conquer it or be conquered.
You should try and set yourself personal goals. Write them down and be willing to work as hard as you have to, no matter how long it takes.
I didn't get into athletics until I was 15 but after my older brother told me "you will run", I soon loved the sport and found myself setting targets and working to achieve them.
Everyone assumes I am a hurdler but I have never won a hurdle Olympic gold medal.
But that doesn't make me crawl into a corner and say "I'm not going to do that again".
Dedication is all you need
Anything worth having is worth working for, whether that means early nights or doing extra training.
When you work towards something and you accomplish that goal, there's no greater feeling in the world.
Talk athletics on our message boards
And not just in athletics - it could also be in the classroom.
Sport teaches you so much, whether you aspire to being an Olympic athlete or not.
You learn about dedication, determination and a "never give up" attitude.
I am willing to conquer every obstacle that stands in my way. No matter how long that may take.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home